Old 10-24-20, 01:04 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by TortoiseAvenger
I have no doubt whatsoever I could learn how to do it. But all the crap I'd need all the sudden and have on me at all times? The tube, the pump, the levers... and a place to put them, That's what seems like a PITA.
Seems like you can choose between something that's a PITA for you, or you being a PITA for your friends.

Something I always advise new cyclists is that your experience as a cyclist is likely to be greatly improved by becoming self sufficient at basic maintenance. Fixing a flat is probably the most obvious place to start.

You should actually learn to do it at home first. This is the most likely scenario anyway, for a couple of reasons. First, bike tires naturally lose air over time, even in the absence of leaks, so you will hopefully soon own a decent floor pump just for periodically re-inflating your tires. On the same shopping trip you pick up a REMA patch kit, tire levers, spare tube, and maybe a mini pump. Next, minor punctures tend to manifest themselves when you're at home and about to go on your next ride. So you get yourself up to speed on fixing a flat. Now you're ready to do it while on a ride.

Folks tend to blow bike problems and maintenance out of proportion. For me, it would have to take an hour or more to fix a flat, before it became quicker or more convenient to call someone. I mean, they have to drive out, load your bike, drive back, unload your bike at your house. If they don't have a big car, you'll be detaching the wheels to fit it into their car. Or they have a dog in which case their car is full of hair and stinks. You can see that this isn't going to end well. And when you get home, you're not done, and will probably throw the bike into your car and take it to a shop to get it fixed, and then go back again when it's done. Now you've consumed 1-2 hours of yours and someone else's time for something that could take 15-30 minutes tops.

On the other hand, yes, cyclists carry a few items with them on rides. Just for the sake of example...

Likes For Gresp15C: