View Single Post
Old 03-28-21, 11:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10968 Post(s)
Liked 7,494 Times in 4,190 Posts
Originally Posted by j19
Hi everyone!
I'd like to build a bikepacking bike based on a vintage frame that I could use on a variety of surfaces - mostly roads, but I would like it to handle some light gravel too. I was wondering whether you would recommend choosing a vintage mountain bike frame as a base or to go for a vintage race bike with downtube shifters and try to fit thicker wheels. Furthermore, what kind of wheels/tyres would you recommend?
Bikepacking is touring on mostly unpaved roads and trails with trendy bags thst hang off the bike. Otherwise, it's just touring and any bike can be used that can handle traditional racks, panniers, bags, etc.

I wouldn't want to ride loaded down on unpaved roads and trails with anything less than 40mm tires, and probably closer to 50mm.
So if vintage- then MTB first, early 90s hybrid second, various 80s touring third.

If this is just paved touring with modern bikepacking bags, then you could pick all sorts of different styles and make it work.
Likes For mstateglfr: