View Single Post
Old 03-29-21, 04:07 AM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by j19
Thank you everyone for such wonderful replies and helpful recommendations! And of course pictures of your beautiful builds! 😊 I truly love this community! You've given me some great starting points and now it's time I do some homework! Oh, I'm from the Netherlands, so no mountains for me, unfortunately... But I would maybe take it to Germany/Belgium for a few days trip. It would be primarily ridden on the roads, but if I take a shortcut and have to stay on a gravel path for a few kilometers, it should also handle that. I would camp alongside, so I would carry a tent and other camping equipment with me.
j19 Any idea what the gravel shortcuts you are thinking of look like?

Here's my Trek 720 with 35mm Schwalbe G-One tires, currently set up for 80+ mile day rides on routes that are approx 75% paved and 25% light gravel. But for loaded trips on a classic touring bike along highways with unknown segments, at minimum I'd want a more durable and slightly wider tire such as 38-40mm Schwalbe Marathons.

For anything rougher than this, vintage mtb would certainly fit the bill... maybe like a Trek 830, 850 or 870: http://www.vintage-trek.com/images/t...ll-Terrain.pdf

Likes For ctak: