Thread: Cicadas
View Single Post
Old 04-28-21, 10:25 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
They also hangout in mouths of birds! Birds are in for a buffet.

The sound of these things for some reason to me sound electronic, just a weird sound, and they're very loud, and with a lot more of them this year it's really going to be loud. And these guys will start their noise, reach a fevered pitch in unison then die off to just a small few for about a couple of seconds, then it starts back up all over again slowly building up to an almost deafening noise, like a wave of sound coming and going, coming and going. It's fascinating. They're ugly as heck, and they look like they could hurt you...but they can't, they have no mouths or stingers, even if your pet eats one don't worry about it. By the way they are edible by humans! Not that I would want to eat one but there are ways to prepare them for eating, below is one method of cooking them:

https://www.instructables.com/How-to...red-for-Great/ Don't forget to de-wing AND de-leg the Cicada, that site failed to mention the legs. There are several ways to cook them, some people eat them raw? yup!

Can you say yum yum? I never tasted one but some say they taste a bit like shrimp or lobster with overtones of asparagus and almonds, I can't personally tell you what they taste like nor do I want to find out.