Old 09-10-21, 09:45 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Got a bike industry lesson......

My GF rides a Colnago CL-X that is an endurance geometry bike. It's about 5 yrs old. Over the years she has bought me a Masi Gran Criterium S w/ Dura Ace (now 15 yrs old) and my CAAD 12. When she bought me that Masi I bought her a Fuji Team Sport. Our birthdays are 2 months apart. So, next August it's my turn. But, she loves her Colnago, and has a Trek Domane for a backup, so I started looking at doing a SRAM wireless electronic mod for her Colnago. This is where the fun starts. I went to my LBS which is also a Cannondale dealer. First I explored the SRAM update but that would have to include a new tubeless rear wheel. Apparently, the existing Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST hub is not compatible with wireless. So, the cost of the wireless system and a new wheel is starting to get pricey for a 5-yr old bike. Well, how about a CAAD 13 with DI2 and disc brakes? Not a choice since Cannondale has slimmed down their range and does not offer the CAAD 13 with electronic shifting. Retrofitting one gets seriously expensive. So, how about a Synapse? That sets me back $4650 plus tax. In addition there will be no bikes available until next year and the electronic groups are 6 months out. Looks like nothing is going to be happening until some time next year. Saving up for her birthday in August. I guess that's a good thing.
Likes For bruce19: