View Single Post
Old 05-14-22, 05:59 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
I agree; the product is not for me, but I know a few people who swear by it. hell, if it gets them off the couch and sweating, well, that's a win.
A lot of "cyclists" seem to turn their nose up at Peloton, but they are totally missing the point. Spin classes are popular and most people in that market want a packaged solution that just works out of the box. Zwift is obviously a better choice for cycling simulation but that's a relatively small crowd, even among dedicated cyclists.

I have mixed feelings about Zwift giving up on the hardware. Had they managed to create a universal hardware platform it may have helped them to create a level playing field in races (maybe holding specific events exclusive to their hardware users), rather than the random mash-up of contraptions people are currently using. For that reason I've never taken Zwift racing seriously. You may as well be racing a bunch of bots. On the other hand ditching the hardware could put more focus on developing their software. If they were going to merge, it would make sense to go with one of the leading hardware manufacturers i.e. Wahoo or Tacx. I guess the former is now very unlikely given their recent acquisition of RGT.