View Single Post
Old 11-15-22, 04:12 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I'm sorry to see the airport destroy beautiful countryside, and I feel for your loss of cycling routes. However, unless bureaucratic steps have been omitted or environmental protections disregarded, I doubt you'll be able to do anything about it.
There are currently plans to build a turnpike through the area where I do most of my cycling, between the town where I live and a lake/state park about 15 miles east of town. I think I remember hearing that 700 homes will have to be demolished. A lot of folks are up in arms and paradoxically it's done a lot to unite our politically divided community. There's some chance of stopping the project because the state turnpike authority neglected to do an environmental impact study. That technicality, and not the opposition of thousands of citizens, might put the brakes on the project.

FWIW, the new road would cut a significant amount of time from my commute, but I still hope it doesn't happen. It would just lead to more sprawl and eventually the need for even more roads.