View Single Post
Old 05-24-21, 11:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Inisfallen
New York City bans e-bikes on at least some of its greenways. The Hudson River Greenway has prominent signage indicating that e-bikes are prohibited.

In the best of times, the ban isn't enforced. At this particular time, New York City is pretty much unpoliced, so ebikes use it all the time.

I hear you about hoping that more cities don't implement bans, but here in NYC, the e-bike situation is getting out of control.

You are correct. There ain't an e-bike police. And the regular police don't care.

But e-bikes are out of control here in NYC. It started with delivery riders. And, believe me, I have nothing but sympathy for these riders, who hustle their asses off trying to scratch out a living.

As a rule, they're riding conventional e-bikes. They do not generally pay attention to direction. They'll take the shortest possible route to their destination, and if that means going the wrong way on the bike path, that's what they'll do. At night, many off them ride with their lights off. I don't know if this is because the lights have burned out and the riders haven't gotten around to replacing them, or if they're turning the lights off to save electricity. I get how important that would be for these riders, but I can't imagine the drain from a couple of LEDS is really a make-or-break thing. And, given the hours I work, I'm always riding home in the dark, so this is a real danger.

And then there's e-bike creep. Seeing the ebikes using the bike paths and greenways, electric scooter riders decide that they're in the same category, and can use the bike paths too. And these are much more powerful, and much faster, vehicles. I see Revel and Lime scooters in the bike paths every single day. I believe the Revel scooters have some sort of governor that limits their speed, but they're still faster than bicycles, especially uphill. And the ones owned by their riders (rather than the rentals) may or may not have any kind of governor.

And then the internal combustion scooters decide they can ride wherever the electric scooter riders go. So I'm starting to see actual Vespas and the like on the Manhattan Bridge bike path. They just don't want to deal with traffic, so they use the bike path, and then the bike path going up First Avenue (my usual route to work).

And since, as I said above, NYC is more or less unpoliced these days, many the electric scooter and ICE scooter people aren't bothering with registering their vehicles and getting license plates. Which also means they're not bothering with insurance. So you're on your own if one of them hits you.
All that is pretty much happening here in Philly as well. The delivery operators, often riding throttle e-bikes, not pedal assist ones (I think some people here might not understand the difference between the two.), are often the worst, even speeding on sidewalks to avoid car traffic. We also have a lot more people speeding down sidewalks (not just bike paths) on e-scooters. (We don't have rentals here.) I am concerned about what might happen when/if the once regular amount of foot traffic returns.
Likes For indyfabz: