View Single Post
Old 08-08-21, 09:47 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
Originally Posted by Inisfallen
And maybe you've got good reason for that, but we here in NYC are living in a city that's essentially unpoliced. There is no traffic enforcement, including enforcement of regulations restricting bike paths to bicycles.

There is no police presence on public transit. The subways are not policed. They're full of aggressive panhandlers who all to often cross the line between aggressive panhandling and obtaining money by threat. There is zero enforcement of the mask requirement (and whatever you think of the mask policy, it is a rule, and should be enforced).

Gun crime has gone through the roof. Stores are openly looted, in broad daylight, by grab-and-run groups.

It's not good.

But back to cycling issues -- we're losing our bike paths. And that is not good for anyone. It's not good for cyclists, it's not good for the city, and it's not good for me.
I am an outsider looking in, we don't have those problems down here and I'm glad we don't. However, I think the problem is with your elected officials (not just in NYC, but other large cities in the US), not the cops, they cops are just reacting to all this craziness they've had to deal with in the last year.

I do believe there is a need for some change in the police force and the George Floyd incident (and others) showed that need. However, so many politicians took it way too far. If I were a cop, I'd find another line of work. But like I said, I'm just an outsider looking in.