View Single Post
Old 05-03-22, 10:05 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
The Grand Record frame is cleaned up, polished and waxed, and ready for final assembly.

The Maillard freewheel was one of the stumbling blocks on this project. Of course I don’t have the proper remover and no one sells them any more. Fortunately I live close to an awesome LBS, Recycled Cycles in Seattle and they pulled it off free of charge. Thanks again guys!!!

I was concerned that there would be French threads on the hub. The headset and BB are French and the stem is 22.0 quill, 25.4 bar…I hoped that once I had the freewheel off there would be some kind of markings to tell me yea or nay. No such luck! I tried to measure the pitch on the hub shell… M6x1 matched up but so did a BSC bottom bracket cup. BSC freewheel threaded on fine, so did M35x1 bottom bracket lock ring. Finally I read a trick from 3alarmer to screw a BB cup into the old freewheel, and it turned out British was right. The French BB cup made it only 3 turns or so before binding, just like he said.

And there’s my British threaded Maillard 700 rear hub, ready to be torn down and repacked. Even better the axle is standard M10x1 so it could easily be respected to 126 later on!

Likes For C9H13N: