View Single Post
Old 02-07-23, 12:06 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,055 Times in 3,809 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
That is poorly worded. But it is always easy for me to say why I take any action because I take them for practical, logical reasons that are an extension of the phenomenon of life itself, not for reasons which do not exist outside the ego.
I don't. I make purchases without needing to justify them with an improved performance metric, or other practical justification. Aesthetics matter to me, and are an important part of my cycling experience. I enjoy looking at hot bikes in the same way I enjoy looking at hot sports cars. They excite me. A bike that is enjoyable to look at is a bike that I want to go ride. I have no issue with replacing a perfectly good seat and grips/tape with the same ones in a different color, just because I think it looks better on my bike. I have no problem with people who feel the need for a practical justification, but sometimes other people have their own reasons.