View Single Post
Old 01-16-20, 04:10 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
I can tell you, if a car would pass me by that close, and I'd be able to catch it up at a stop or a red light, I would break his mirror, and have no remorse. Some areas needs to be avoided as much as possible... Not sure if it's your case or not. My advice: Get yourself a camera & record your rides. Send it to the police if/when such incidents occur.
Once, I kicked a car door, leaving a dent after the driver followed me at scaringly close distance with the car over the bike lane for more than 100m. I fully approve of your method.

When someone passes me in a dangerous manner, if it's in urban areas I usually pass in front of them at the next red light and suddenly, my urge to ride in the shoulder at high speed dissapears. Not that I advise doing this.

What I really advise doing is taking the whole lane when you don't want anyone to pass. I only ride on the right part of the lane or the shoulder when I can be passed safely. Otherwise I take the whole lane and make sure nobody will be able to pass me unless he puts the whole car on the incoming lane.

Sometimes there's an idiot that brakes a bit late or gets too close, but I found this less common than people passing too close with no visibility. When people get too close to me I also tend to slow down dramatically for unknown reasons.
Likes For Amt0571: