View Single Post
Old 02-06-20, 02:28 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
I am using a 30t right now on a Bob Jackson with the wheel all the way back and a short cage NR I am hoping to go to a 34t and then put it back to normal when I get home. Then this Rally? - Nuovo Record ? will go on a touring build I am collecting parts for. There is a NR with the long cage and the original short cage on a facebook group for $130US but I got this for almost half.
I noticed the outer NR plate in the one photo and it didn't even register with me that it was from the same derailleur (duh!); that would certainly explain the disparity of the pivot pins if it is indeed built from the parts of 2 or more units. I have one or more NR derailleurs for nearly every year they were made, and plenty of SRs so no more buying RDs. I could easily fabricate some long cage plates from some billet stock if I want to run a larger rear sprocket, but it's nice to have the real thing. I wrote 28t because I know I've used the short cage NR unit on a gear of that size. If you can feasibly use it on a 30t sprocket then I would probably not need a long cage if the NR unit can cover that range since I rarely use anything over 30t. I think the long cage plates were going for around $50. I'd say you did well in the purchase, even for a "rebuilt" unit.