View Single Post
Old 06-30-21, 08:03 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I do a lot of hybrid touring since a lot of my touring buddies are older. I just completed a short 8-day trip from Sioux Falls to La Crosse with an 80 year old who prefers indoor accommodations when possible but we will camp if needed. One thing you can do is to ease into the remote area, i.e., start in a populated "regular" area and then ride toward the remote area. You will adjust accordingly.

Doing a hybrid is very easy, in a lot of respects it is easier since you can camp OR hotel it depending on what you want and/or is avaialle for that night. As far as water goes, that is a somewhat personal area. I have been known to strap a gallon of water or two to my packs with small cargo nets and nylon straps when I am doing remote camping. If you carry a good water filter, what may allow you to top off when you come across a water source (think stock tanks, not ponds, in the west). Rarely are you more than 2 days between water sources in the west unless you are off-pavement or do low miles.

Food is not that big of an issue. For me, the biggest problem with food is getting variety while in remote areas. Lots of pastas, hard cheeses (cheddar), tortillas, peanut butter, salami, etc. Again, you will probably be only 2 days between food resupply points.

As far as boredom goes, I will download a couple of books on my phone and read via Kindle. Adds no weight, can read anytime I want, and don't need internet. Plus there is always bike maintenance, journal writing (I still do post cars when I can find them), laundry, etc. I do notice I spend more time awake when in a hotel since it is so easy and more comfortable. Sometimes that is good, sometimes that is bad when you get to bed at midnight due to finishing the above book and you still need to get up at 6am.

In summary, I really would not worry to much.

Tailwinds, John
Likes For John N: