Old 07-18-21, 10:10 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
One more idea:

I mentioned in post number 2 above that I stayed at a motel in Astoria the night I arrived there, I had a reservation in advance because I knew it would be quite late when I arrived there. I checked my GPS data from my trip, I stayed at the Astoria Riverwalk Inn.

If you decide to use Bike Flights or one of their competitors, you might be able to arrange for a motel to accept your bike. Then when you arrive, you can pull it out of the box and assemble.

This of course would mean that you know how to assemble your bike after it was shipped. That works best if you were the one to package it up for shipping. And you certainly would not want to try to put a rack on the bike if that rack has never been installed on that bike before, you being at a motel and suddenly needing a longer bolt or spacer or T20 wrench.

If I was shipping a bike to my starting point, I would be inclined to stay there for a night and put it together myself. But, I built up my touring bikes from parts, I am quite comfortable with that sort of thing. If you are not mechanically inclined or not familiar with your bike that well, a bike shop might be a better option.

On my trip, I bought stove fuel in Portland, (it is against the rules to take stove fuel on Amtrak trains), and then took the bus to Astoria. There was a several hour layover between my arrival on the train and departure on the bus when I was in Portland, so hiked over to REI for fuel. But you might be able to find stove fuel in Astoria, but I do not know where to look. A bike shop should know where.

Regarding camp stoves, if you are bringing a camp stove on the plane, you want to look at this:
https://www.msrgear.com/blog/flying-...camping-stove/

I decided a few years ago that it is too much hassle to carry a liquid fuel camp stove on planes, now I only carry a butane mix type stove on planes.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 07-18-21 at 10:16 AM.