View Single Post
Old 09-28-22, 08:26 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
I believe that my RHR has been an indicator of how life's ongoing health issues have affected me.

In my early 60's I had been doing some intense riding with a great bunch of guys when in 2011 a bike crash required a visit to an ER that resulted in continuous Low Heart Rate alarm until attended to. Once back to riding I was riding even more intensely and in 2014 I had a minor surgery that required a Pre-Op. The ECG reading was taken from a 39bpm recorded heart rate.

Continuing some awesome riding I then needed another Pre-Op ECG for my first Prostate Cancer (PCa) therapy procedure. I walked into the room and sat down, answered some questions then up on the gurney and got hooked up. Nurse said my heart rate was too low for an accurate recording so I carefully got up, moved around and back down. Reading was fine at 39bpm when the original was not good at 32bpm. As I re-shirted and as I was leaving the nurse commented that the 39bpm recording was the same as the one 2 years earlier for that minor surgery.

7 years of PCa treatment has resulted in inconsistent riding and more cycling incidences that has my RHR into upper 50's. Unable to exercise at high intensity has definitely upped my heart rate

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 09-28-22 at 08:35 PM.