View Single Post
Old 10-07-22, 06:16 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,861 Times in 3,007 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
That's all well and fine for the 1% of elite cyclists. I honestly doubt that many here would notice an adapted difference on most rides and they might get faster on their next carb fueled ride going keto on a few and dropping some body fat. There is a vast difference however when you go from mostly carbs to mostly fats. You will have horrible low energy for 3-5 days and after adapted I have particularly noticed a greater feeling of clarity of mind and plenty of energy for a 20–30-mile ride without being exhausted the rest of the day.

I do think carbs are fine fuel unless you want to drop body fat. What I do hate to see however are cyclists trying to eek out every bit of performance fueling up on energy bars and all kind of power bars. The companies that make that processed junk don't care about health nearly as much as profit. I do honestly think those processed foods are destroying our health over the long term.
I think you are looking at this too much from the perspective of someone who was previously obese. I really don't think energy bars (eaten for athletic performance) are a major health issue in the bigger picture. The real killer is a modern sedentary lifestyle, combined with a junk food diet. I don't think that should be confused with consuming carbs for athletic performance.