View Single Post
Old 11-07-13, 02:30 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I've been making a change to a minimalistic lifestyle after realizing how much junk I've compiled over the years. I thought about what would happen if I was to die suddenly. I didn't want to leave an immediate family member with the burden of trying to unload my hoardings. Everything I own now will fit easily in [or on] a 4-door sedan. I've done yard sales, Craigslist ads, and even donated many items to local thrift stores and have now narrowed down my living quarters to the following:

Kitchen
- Mini refrigerator (large enough for the necessities; e.g. 6 pack of beer, gallon of milk, a dozen eggs, etc.)
- Microwave
- Electric griddle (got rid of my stove and all my frying pans)
- One of each: Spatula, fork, spoon, knife, plate, bowl

Living
- 2'x3' table *doubles as entertainment stand/desk/dining table
- Laptop
- 32" HDTV w/built-in DVD Player
- Small media shelf filled with books and DVDs - more DVD than books now that I re-discovered the public library(my local library doesn't have many DVD available yet so I was forced to buy my favorite titles)
- Reclining chair (opens flat enough to comfortably sleep on - so I got rid of my bed)
- 5 Drawer dresser (Containing 6 days worth of shirts, pants, underwear, and 2 pairs of shorts)
- Bicycle
- 12-year-old car, paid for in full 10 years ago

I don't host company too often, but I get some interesting remarks over my sudden decision to live a minimal lifestyle (actually got asked "do you see a psychiatrist?" recently, as people are concerned I'm going to commit suicide or something) and the major echo my living room gives off. In the summertime, I do all my grocery shopping once a month and park my car in a friend's garage nearby. I commute by bike every place I need to go, until the winter months, when I return to driving. Living rural means I will never be car-free but as long as I can help it, I'll always be car-light. Last year, I had only 250 miles on the car and most of that was a commuting to work.

Last edited by MikeRides; 11-07-13 at 02:37 PM.