View Single Post
Old 08-13-14, 06:17 PM
DiamondDave247

Bikes: 2011 GT Avalanche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everybody. I am a retired baby-boomer living on a meager budget. Back in February of this year, I realized that it had actually been over a week since I had started and driven my car! It got me wondering,...if I can go a week without driving a car, could I go 2 weeks?! a month?! a year, perhaps?! I started noticing where my travel commutes were taking me, and whether or not I could make the same trip on a bike? My answer was always, "yes", I can do this trip on a bike, with a little more effort! Do I REALLY need this car?!

So, on a whim, I decided to list my car for sale. Surprisingly, I got an offer on it within a week! Without even thinking about it much, I sold the car, and suddenly I am living car-free! WOW. For a guy that has ALWAYS owned a vehicle since the age of 18, it was a bit like jumping out of a boat in the middle of the ocean! Well, there was nothing left to do now but to start swimming...lol...luckily for me, I live in an area that is close to all the businesses I frequent. The bank, the ATM's, grocery store, pharmacy, doctor's office, post office, all within a few miles and a few minutes on a bike.

So, anyway, that's my situation at the moment. If I need a vehicle for an emergency road trip, I can always rent a car. The bus routes are very efficient and affordable, too. If all else fails, there is still the option of calling a cab. I have been car-free for over 4 months now. I've been able to save a little money and pay off all my credit cards as a side benefit! I'm now debating whether or not I should buy another car just in case of emergency. It sure is hard to climb back into that boat and struggle to row it, when floating along with the current seems so natural!

I'm getting inspired to continue the car-free lifestyle as I read more posts here at the forum. Thanks for any advice, tips, or comments, and continued success to all in your bicycling, recumbent, or alternative transportation ventures!

~Dave~