Old 10-24-17, 03:19 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Divebrian
This is true to a point, but what works for Rider A (more powerful) is not always a good choice for Rider B. Not trying to be nit picky, but there are difference between each rider. Now, if your looking for the strongest or most durable, then Rider A to B comparison will work. However, something that is better for Rider A, may be stronger, stiffer, etc and may work for Rider A as their weight gives it a different characteristic that may not be so good for Rider B. Think of shocks for vehicles. If I take the shocks off my 1 ton truck and put them on your passenger car, then they will not work well...they will be too stiff and not forgiving enough.

With bikes, with me weighing well over 200 lbs, my set up may be wary too harsh for a 150 lb rider and they may end up being slower as the bike is too twitchy and moves all over the track on them, which makes them slower in the end as "smoother is faster" and they can't be smooth on my bike. What is best for one track will not necessarily be best for another track due to track construction materials, radius of turns, bumps, etc.
This is true. These are also things that can be determined using anecdotal experience. Although the point I was trying to make is not inclusive of every choice that can be made, I was referring to the example given of pedal release tensions, where something like that would apply (if the pedal retains a stronger rider, then it will be strong enough for a weaker rider, regardless of knowing it's actual retention value).

As with all things cycling related, we invest a lot of time and money into our choices. It's good to have information, and more information helps us to make educated decisions. Information also needs to be looked at in it's proper context. Different parameters will apply to differing pieces of equipment, as well as how and who they are for. It's important to keep in mind what matters to whom and when. Some things can be true for everyone across the board. It's been mentioned before, just because something isn't the strongest, doesn't mean it's not strong enough. Then again, strongest is still strongest. How you use the information is up to you.