View Single Post
Old 03-03-18, 04:59 PM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
What's your plan for supporting yourself when you get old and working becomes increasingly more difficult and you have more medical needs?
I know you didn't direct this question at me, but it interests me, so wanted to answer.

I'm already vested in for a monthly pension. If I hang on for another couple years I'll be guaranteed about $1K/month (guaranteed about as much as anything can be these days). I'll get about $1500/mo social security assuming they don't screw with it. I also have about $70K in IRAs, which will probably be worth at least $100K when I can access them without penalty (I'm 47, so can start withdrawing when I'm 60). So in a sense I'm pretty well set for retirement. I'd have to live fairly modestly, which I'm happy to do.

In terms of getting older, while having money can make it more comfortable, eventually we all deteriorate and die. That's just how life works and no amount of money can change that fundamental fact of biological existence. Might as well just enjoy the time we have while we can.