Old 08-23-21, 01:23 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Conti GP5000 tire life-span: how many miles did you get?

This past June I installed a set of non-tubeless 28mm GP5000s (non-tubeless) on my road bike. I've long been a fan of gp4000/5000s and have 32s on my sport tourer, but previously have never bothered to document usage.

I've since been tracking tire mileage via Strava: 2,374 miles on the 28s (pictured below). Front tires look good, with the rear showing some squaring off (wear indicators are visible). No flats yet but plenty of little cuts. Road conditions on my routes are typically 30% smooth paved, 60% crappy paved / road shoulders and 10% light gravel/dirt. Avoiding flats at 50mph on a steep descents (quite a few around here!) is a motivation for retiring tires sooner rather than later, but at this rate I don't see why I wouldn't be able to log another 2,000 miles first.

To compensate for the uneven tire wear, yesterday I swapped out the rear for the front and vice versa (pics below taken after the swap).

So far, my observations seem pretty similar to the BRR endurance test results: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...endurance-test

Questions for the BF crowd who track GP5000 usage:
1) what tire size and PSI do/did you use?
2) how many total miles did you get (tubeless or non) before trashing them?
3) how many flats did you get? (pls specify front or rear if you recall)
4) how would you describe the road surfaces where you ride?
5) anything else you'd like to add

Thanks all!

Will report back once I hit 4k miles if this thread generates any interest...

Last edited by ctak; 08-23-21 at 01:27 PM.