View Single Post
Old 12-22-21, 07:33 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It was way back in ‘99, but I think it was near the Pike Market.

We went up to Concrete then Colonial Creek Campground then over Rainy & Washington Passes in the rain and snow to Winthrop for a much deserved rest day. Only stop in ID was Sandpoint, where we took another rest day.
That would be the route. Our ride was Cascade Bicycle Club's RAW (Ride Across Washington) and did all five passes. Rainy, Washington, Loup Loup, Wauconda Summit and Sherman. We had some blistering hot days. This summer I cheated and did the blast down from WA Pass to Winthrop. It was terrific on that downhill but as I hit the valley the temperature soared and it was in the high 90's. We actually shortened our trip by a day to escape that heat back to Western WA. It is a beautiful highway although still long stretches without much shoulder in the Concrete/Marblemount area. I've climbed Washington/Rainy from the east side a few different times including in snow. The first time we did it at night after the highway just opened for the season. We stashed food and cooking stoves at the Washington Pass Overlook for breakfast and then down the west side. I'm much slower these days.