View Single Post
Old 11-30-02, 02:59 AM
rchan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carbon Fork Lifespan?

I've recently purchased a new road bike to replace my old all steel one. I was a bit wary about getting this one because it had a carbon fork instead of a steel one, but I got it anyway, because I figured I can get the info about the average lifespan of this type of material on the Internet.

Well, since I am writing here, you can probably guess I couldn't find anything useful at all. Occasionally I'd find something about how many cycles a carbon fork would last, but that isn't very useful since I don't know how many cycles a fork will go through in one of my typical rides, and usually the info is about a specific brand and model.

Does anybody know what is the average life of a carbon fork in terms of years or distance? I average about 1800 miles a year, pretty low milage in the grand scheme of things. Normally I wouldn't be so concered if it weren't for the fact that unlike steel, which usually bends when it fails, carbon tends to snap. Or is my concern outdated? Do recent carbon forks have something in them that will keep them from failing catostrophically?

Any info or web site referrals will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by rchan; 11-30-02 at 03:06 AM.