Old 05-04-20, 07:26 PM
movelo

Bikes: Mondia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quirky pedal pads

For those using clip-in (Look or Shimano SPD-SL) road pedals, do you prefer the feel of zero-float cleats but want to be able to occasionally change your foot toe-in angle over the course of a long ride ? Then buy max float cleats and try this:

Cut a 40mm long section out of a 1.75 or 2.25 inch or larger tire tube, one for each pedal.
Cut a hole in one side of the tube for the pedal spindle.
Stretch the tube over your pedal, position it to cover the platform, stay clear of the clip. Bigger tube size involves less stretching and is thus easier. Pre-stretch and use a tongue depressor.

The layer of rubber between cleat and pedal dampens the pivoting. You will still be able to position your foot anywhere within the cleat float range, but you will no longer expend energy or muscular tension to hold it in that position through every crank rotation. It's a different feeling standing to climb, no more swivelling around like you stepped on a wet bar of soap. Another way to describe it is, you can throw a baseball harder if you don't have to worry about aiming it.

The tube layer thickness will make it harder to clip in and out. Practice unclipping a few times before first ride. You might need to back off the clip tension adjustment screw. And bump saddle height up a millimeter or two.

The rubber will wear down and need replaced every so often, but you can cut alot of these out of a single tube. Also tried gluing flat rubber pads directly on the pedal, but this actually is easier and lasts longer. I carry a couple of spares in saddlebag, and use them on all my bike's pedals, including trainer.

This is not for everybody. If your knees like and make use of the "float" pedal-swiveling freedom with each stroke, this might hurt your knees, don't do it. For me, it's the opposite, my knees like the stability through each revolution, and the ability to tweak to other foot positions without having to dismount and fuss with cleat screws.
Likes For movelo: