View Single Post
Old 02-03-23, 09:03 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1590:

It was a good news/bad news kind of morning.

Good news: I arose to discover the temp was -2°F. This was five degrees warmer than what they predicted, and meant that I could ride the entire way to work and not have to hassle with catching the bus for a portion.
Bad news: Halfway to work I got a flat tire. I was still 2 miles from the office. I don't try to repair flats out on the road in these temps as that's a recipe for frostbitten hands.
Good news: It appeared to be a slow leak, so I thought maybe I could pump the tire up a few times and make it the rest of the way without having to push the bike.
Bad news: I discovered that my frame pump had frozen to its holder, and that my valve stem cap had frozen to the stem.
Good news: After a bunch of pulling, twisting and emitting many caveman-esque sounds, I was able to get them loose and pump up the tire. It actually stayed inflated enough to get me the rest of the way to work, but was pretty flat again as I arrived.
Bad news: Thinking I could fix the flat later in the day during a break, I pulled my repair kit out of my bag. Then I discovered that I never swapped tubes for the season. There were two new tubes in the kit, neither one of which was for a 26" wheel, and neither one was a Schrader valve.

Hopefully I can make it home by pumping up the tire a few times along the way. Next week is my seven year anniversary since the last time I drove a car to work, so there's no way I'm going to call the wife for a rescue. I'll walk home the whole way first.