Old 07-31-21, 01:48 PM
El Heron

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
There's a lot of smart thinking in this idea... if you make it pretty, you'll probably sell a bunch of them, because old cranks are, on average, prettier than new ones.

--Shannon
Thanks Shannon! My job and my family keep me extremely busy. I have very little time to train, much less do any type of side hustle project. Ideally someone else, an individual or a company such as Orange Velo, would take the design and make an upgrade kit for vintage 130/135BCD cranksets. Hopefully the kit items would be in an aluminum finish that was similar to the patina of vintage cranksets. Selling an upgrade kit could include: the chainring adapter, the 10 chainring bolts/nuts, the 110BCD chainrings in silver, and the square taper 105mm bottom bracket. I could not find any 110BCD chainrings in silver color except for some FSA ones that were super chunky. In my fabrication the chainring bolts attaching the adapter to the 135BCD alone took me hours to file down with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper to get the them to fit the crankset since I used long Sugino chaining bolts for all the bolts for a more uniform look. The long Sugino bolts were a perfect size for the 110BCD portion of the adapter since they go through the adapter, two chainrings, and a 4mm spacer. Those same bolts needs to be filed down significantly to just go through only the adapter and the crank arm tab. That sanding down of the five chainring bolts took my hours. If there was an upgrade kit as I described above I would have spent some money to use my own vintage Campagnolo crankset and have compact gearing.