Old 02-21-18, 10:19 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
What happened to them? Who were they?

I think it remains a challenging geographical issue. With the exception of the greatest of the great American kids, prospects are moving across the globe for meager pay. I suspect if there were more opportunities at the same pay, but living/training/racing in the US, you'd see more kids getting into and sticking with the sport. The lack of visibility limits the number of kids taking up bike racing which in turns leads to a more shallow talent pool moreso than USAC making kids spin high cadence. Even if there is a brief glimmer of hope with these 2015 kids I can't imagine too many took on contracts because of the items above.
Location has limitations too. Why would a team go to somewhere like Minot ND to sign an average level prospect when there are 20 guys with the same potential in Western Europe?

European baseball players have the same problem. There's been at least a few pitchers that could throw good enough, but when you are in a remote location people don't sign 'good enough'. Going back to cycling, that means the cyclists like Greg Lemond and Lance Armstrong will get signed, but stars that develop into stars later like Froome will not.

So the kids have to move to the sports mecca to develop but most just don't have the resources. Its much easier for a kid in Belgium or France to stick with it as he doesn't have to leave home, learn a new language, and has a easier time finding secondary income (if he even needs it).