View Single Post
Old 11-25-19, 02:08 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
If I understand correctly..,

You spot “what appears to be” an abandoned bike laying on someone’s front yard (in, under, or near some ‘other junk’). You go home to get you truck, return to the residence, ring the door bell, and determine that since no one answers the door (despite cars parked in the driveway) & by the placement/appearance of the bike... You determine that it is ‘most likely free to a good home’ and so took it home.

By the sound of things, you were probably right by your assumptions, but... I really do hope you left a note on the door with contact info in the possible event that you weren’t.
How I have wanted to be negative about taking something that does not belong to you and thank you for putting it so nicely. As for me, I have faced this situation on more than one occasion. This lovely old Bianchi was, obviously, going to the trash heap or, at the very least, to be left to the ravages of Mother Nature through the passing of time. I was tempted to just grab the bike since it was obviously landfill sight fodder. Or so I assumed. That said...

I went back two times that day, while in Winnipeg, hoping the occupant was home. The second call to the house was rewarded with the opportunity to purchase the Bianchi for twenty dollars CND. Great deal, in my mind, and one that would never come back to haunt me or my integrity...