View Single Post
Old 06-20-20, 03:19 PM
mattk42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 19 Posts
Been wrenching on this GT Tequesta I picked up a while ago on Craigslist. Not for me, but for shorter folks to ride. Latest hope is for introducing my girlfriend to mountain biking. I never really got it fully tuned when I bought it. Shifting was never that great, the brakes were set up kind of mediocre. It's pretty rough around the edges but altogether seems solid.

But, now it's ready for action! New grips, brakes set up nice and strong with new Kool Stop salmons and fresh cables (thankfully I've gotten much better at setting up smooth post cantis), shifting issues resolved (new cables, dialing in limit screws). Crunchy rear bearings overhauled, front adjusted.

The goofiest shifting issue was a chunking, clicking sound in the lowest gear combo. On closer inspection, the derailleur needs to be at a steeper angle to clear the gear. But, the b screw is bottomed out. Probably owing to the mega range freewheel. Yes, a 7 speed freewheel. Unfortunately, I can't easily swap that out. So, attempted the longer b screw approach. Unfortunately, the screw stop on the frame is kinda small, so the screw was going to miss the stop before being adjusted appropriately. So a combo fix of the longer screw and the put it in backwards fixes! Thankfully I got allen screws, which have a larger head than the one in before, and it seems to contact the frame stop about halfway along it's length - so it should be good and secure! Screw doesn't need to be that long, but shouldn't get in the way I think.

Note to those doing the reverse screw approach, don't mess with removing the derailleur! Just remove the b screw and rotate the derailleur far enough, clockwise, till you can thread the screw in. Same goes for adjusting the screw in this orientation. Just rotate the derailleur body, no need to remove the derailleur, at least in my experience.

GT Tequesta. Snazzy new grips.

A modified approach. Why so small a screw stop on the dropout?