Old 07-05-20, 12:43 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 486 Posts
Uhh, what's a cyclist?

Seems to be some confusion about this one.

Is it anyone on a bike, anytime, no matter what?
Is it someone with a bike in their garage/shed/storage, ridden or not?
Is it someone who uses it out of necessity?
Is it a certain amount of miles a year? 5000?1000? 4?

I guess I just don't know.

A car and driver analogy came up. Is everyone who has a car a serious motorist (sorry, don't know the actual name for that). Of course not. Do you have to race a car to be serious though? Hardly.

So where is it for the bike?

I don't think it should be all encompassing. For me, I keep it to those who give a damn.

The bike itself has got to at least be fixable. Meaning, it's worth it to repair things that wear out and things adjusted stay adjusted. If that means bike shop quality or higher, then that's what it means.

You've got to have access to chain lube, and use it when needed. Likewise a pump.

​​​​​You don't have to ride, you set aside time to ride because you want to. Whether that means waking up early to commute or negotiating a Saturday with your spouse. Making time.

You've got to sweat. Sorry, a leisurely drift around the park with a kid on a scooter keeping up just isn't riding. I'm sorry.

So it's a bit limited but hardly exclusive. I won't be calling kids, throngs of commuters in certain countries, and those who ride because they don't have much choice cyclists. You know what though? I doubt those people would call themselves a cyclist.

Its also a pretty slippery slope. It doesn't take long before dude on a bike finds out he loves it, and the miles start adding up, and the bike start getting more appropriate and before you know it, he's shaving his legs and bidding for 70 year old wool jerseys on eBay.

Discuss