View Single Post
Old 06-23-21, 08:20 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 789 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
I've experienced the "punish pass", as I'm sure we all have. I've never (35+ years of cycling) had anyone try to deliberately run me off the road, or "bait" me into a situation where they could hit me, or throw anything at me. I don't doubt that these things happen - there are certainly crazy people out there. I'm just glad that that kind of stuff doesn't appear to be a problem around where I ride.
Where do you live/ride?

I've been cycling for about the same amount of time and I've got plenty of stories of people swerving at me and things thrown at me; the first time I was hit by a car was an intentional act, I believe, based on how the driver sped up, just prior to impact and then drove off very quickly.

However, this has happened in numerous states, including Hawaii, not just my current place of residence. However, I don't mean to say it's extremely common, especially nowadays, the vast majority of motorists that pass me are good people, but I don't know of any cyclist that doesn't have at least one story of a negative encounter with a motorist.