genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
it was too much. if it was around 7 it would have been bad but ok. 90 actually feels better riding then walking. today its going to be worse so we will end up living in our bedroom. it does not get that hot here in portland usually.
When I was working in Florida a couple years ago, I did a little ride each Saturday... in the FL heat and humidity. I lived in an travel trailer at the time and always put water in the fridge, and turned on the AC before I rode. Generally the temp was in the 85-95 degree range with an RH that allowed you to "wring" water right out of the air. The rides were short, 10-15 miles, but always gratifying... and indeed, as long as I kept moving... it was "doable."

The moment I stopped, at a stop sign for instance... the sweat would pour off of me. When I finally got back to my RV at the end of the ride... I'd quickly lock up the bike and then dash into the cool trailer and open a refrigerated water bottle and wash off my face with cool water. Within 10 minutes or so, I'd feel "comfortable" again. But the fact that I did this every weekend and days off meant that I could tolerate that Florida heat much better.

Unusual weather like that which hit Portland yesterday doesn't give you time to build up your "heat immunity," and just feels relentless...