View Single Post
Old 06-27-21, 01:22 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I did quite a bit of research on this very subject the other day. The bottom line is that dogs don't respond to human pepper spray because they have a layer on their eyes that prevents it from working. So, there is a separate spray for dogs that is designed to work on dogs. The reason the dog spray is weaker than human is because once you cut through the protective layer their eyes are much more sensitive.

I couldn't quite figure out from my reading if bear spray actually would work on dogs but I think that it's a lot stronger than necessary to do the job.

Anyway, I bought myself a can of Halt, which is what postmen use. It also leaves an orange stain to identify the guilty dog. I suppose it would be less useful on people, being less powerful, but the question was about dogs.

None of this information was easy to find but it's there if you dig. Read some of the Amazon reviews and you'll find that people complain about various human-directed brands of pepper sprays are bad products and their proof is that they tried it on a dog and it didn't work, which just should hammer home the idea that the spray was fine but the user was pointing it at the wrong target. Notice how many of the one-star reviews mention dogs.

Last edited by mdarnton; 06-27-21 at 01:55 PM.
Likes For mdarnton: