Thread: Dogs.
View Single Post
Old 06-30-21, 10:24 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
I had a large mutt want a piece of me so bad it jumped a puny 3 foot fence while the owner looked on and simply stood there. I knew immediately by the speed it was approaching and the set of its mouth it meant business. I stopped and swung my bike between it and me just as it got to me, almost knocking me over. Then I literally used my bike to attack the dog (adrenaline is a powerful drug). I chased that dog back into the yard and then kicked the gate so hard it flew off the hinges and the lady standing there told me I was going to pay for it. Fortunately, my bike wasn't damaged ( good old steel frame). I pulled out my flip phone and told the lady that we would let the cops decide who was paying for what. She turned and stormed into her house taking the dog with her. The next time I rode past a day or two later I was looking for the dog. Once again it came charging across the yard so I hit the brakes and waited for it with the fence and the bike between it and me. It stopped just before it reached the fence and when I yelled at it to eff off, it trotted back to the front porch. The lady never came out and within a month there were new renters there and they didn't have a dog. I'm glad to say.
A bike handled like a two handed scythe can be an effective defense if all else fails. That should cover most dog threats when they won't stop at first. If after that they are still coming, you are in trouble.

The real problem isn't dogs though. It's some dog owners.