Old 07-08-21, 10:40 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Originally Posted by mrv
- right! No hijacking vintage threads! .... maybe hijack this one: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...iss-cross.html
--- yes, I would have to relocate the canti-posts: Zen and the Art of Bicycle Building: braze-on distances index
-- Schwinn's CrissCross is built for 700c wheels. It's still in the early - early - maybe - man, I sure would like to try this - stages. The frameset (with brakes & headset & BB) was $40. Canti bosses are about $2 a piece. I've done some really simple stuff - rack bosses and bottle cage bosses. This would require some real patience to fixture up.
Def something to be said for all the different reaches of Tektro dual pivots. Maybe good C&V equivalent.

I’ve never used the center pull brakes like the OP has.
Apart from a little flex (which in this case is more of a psychological hang-up than a functional problem), I have no complaints with the Weinmann 750s. They've never failed to slow me down rapidly, or bring the bike to a stop. I think I was spoiled by the short-reach dual-pivot calipers on my first road bike. They have an action that borders on Boolean!

Anyways, brazing on brake posts is totally germane to this thread, as it's part of my upgrade! gugie brazed centerpull mounts onto my fork as a part of upgrading to a custom rack. I highly recommend his work if you decide not to do it yourself.

More pictures and discussion here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...onicscott.html

After a year and a half in the making, I'm looking forward to finally being able to share some ride results. RAGBRAI is in two weeks, so the clock is ticking!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 07-08-21 at 11:41 AM.
Likes For ThermionicScott: