View Single Post
Old 07-12-21, 07:51 AM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Do you replace your rim strip regularly?

I've been cycling (both road and mountain) regularly for a long time. Every weekend in the summer, you'll find me on either my road bike, my mountain bike, or my gravel bike!

I pride myself in keeping my (relatively dated) bikes in good condition. As my bikes has been working quite well, I have little motivation to buy new bikes. The result is almost all of my day-to-day bikes are 10+ year old.

I'm a relative light weight (100lb dripping wet). So I don't have much flats. I average maybe 1 flat every 3-4 years on road, a bit more often off road due to thorns and rocks.

Recently, I had TWO flats back to back, on 2 different bikes. Both were from rim strips pulling away from the hole for the valve. In both cases, the exposed edge of the hole slowly ate into the inner tube at the base of the valve stem, eventually the valve stem broke off.

My question for those of you who keeps bikes for more than just 2-3 years, have you seen that being an issue? Do you replace your rim strips after x years/miles as a regular maintains item?