View Single Post
Old 07-16-21, 12:48 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
I've had good experience with GL330s. I'm also no lightweight. My weight has fluctuated a lot over the years, but I'm usually in the 200-215 pound range. The 32h front GL330 rim on my LOOK has lasted throughout my teenage race years, and continues to roll like the Energizer Bunny since I rebuilt it 2x in 2008. This bike gets as much use as any in my collection. I've used GL330 rims in the rear in the past, but don't have any currently in operation. That said, I like light wheels, even if I'm beyond the recommended weight limits. I have a bunch of bikes and spare wheels with low-three-hundred gram tubular rims/wheels (Campagnolo, Wolber Super Champion, Araya, Wolber Arc-en-Ciel, Record du Monde, Fiamme Red Label, Fiamme Ergal) . The Mavic GL330s stack up really well against the rest in that class, but still do need periodic trueing. Definitely expect a bit more maintenance than a GP4 or MA40, but don't let that stop you, especially if you can fit wider tires like the 27mm you mention. I think a fat tubular, not over-inflated, does wonders to prolong wheel life.

Oh, and I don't think the 753r tubeset on my LOOK is recommended for riders above 175 pounds, but that's not stopping me either. A lot depends on "how light you ride"--plowing through bumps with your butt heavy on the saddle, versus constantly being aware of hazards and soaking up bumpy roads with the legs as much as possible.

[