Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
what is up with the Sizing?

My 29er Talon is Medium and 18"

Size Head Angle Seat Angle Top Tube Reach Head Tube Stack Chain Stay Wheel Base Standover Height
M/18 70.5 72.5 23.5 n/a 4.5 n/a 17.6 42.6 29.5

Now the Toughroad
M/19 71.5 73 23.4 41.1 5.9 60.1 17.7 42.4 32.2

I really like what Giant did here. However, used hardtails are dime a dozen. Rigid forks are relatively cheap. I'd rather run a 38-42c tire anyways. If the bike is mostly for the road/gravel, with some offroad use then a flatbar Tiagra 2x10 group makes way more sense.

Maybe it is time to build..... Then there is also a 2015 DB Haanjo flatbar is SORA equipped available and $589 right now. BB5 sucks, however TRP spyre/spyke are the better mech brakes anyways. Along with mech being desirable in a year round commute bike.
So $170 + $589 = $759 Haanjo vs ToughRoad $829 (LBS price)

I don't know anything about DB frames though. I do know Giant frames are efficient. Which good stiff frames are priceless in my opinion.

Love Giant and I love the idea of the Toughroad, I am just not sold on it (yet). It doesn't help that all the LBS couldn't move revolts/anyroads. So I seriously doubt they will order and stock this toughroad. :'( I also loved the Anyroad, and Revolt, yet after riding them I wasn't happy with them. The Idea was great, yet Giant missed the mark in making it efficient. They should have just modified the Defy frame to fit 50c tires and called it a day.

Just rambling..... Someone sell me on a Toughroad. Especially, When I currently have a Trek Crossrip. All of this is because I want flatbar, and a slightly higher BB.