View Single Post
Old 04-05-16, 08:49 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I suppose the Sales pitch I am looking for on the Toughroad is why I would want it rather than building a Rigid hardtail 29er.
This bike will make a great choice for someone looking for a vintage feeling bike without having to find and fix up an old bike, or someone who wants old school geometry with newer technology in geometry, brakes, and material technology. The other advantage is bosses for racks, fenders, etc that MTBs shed decades ago. If you're into building up your own rigs, there isn't much too look at. I do wish manufacturers still sold bare frames

Heres a quick and dirty mockup next to my 95 cannondale showing the similarities and the upward sloping top tube. FYI the dale is sub 21lbs (23.1 stock).

Fully rigid MTBs died out in the mainstream about 1996, its nice to see another one being produced by a large brand regardless of the label they put on it without having to go used, BYO, or "custom." MTB-like hybrids with massive tire clearance were few and far between, the advantage of this one is that it promises to be lighter than most previous "hybrid" offerings, although they don't actually have light builds

Last edited by DorkDisk; 04-14-20 at 06:51 PM.