View Single Post
Old 04-08-16, 09:01 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill1227
* I would greatly appreciate posting actual weights of the Giant ToughRoad along with frame size and what is included in the weight example - with peddles, with bottle cages etc.

* Back in this thread someone else asked and one reply said " I think mine is 28 pounds". If so, that seems quite portly to me for a rigid carbon fork 29'er and yet it may well be the case , as it appears by the available racks front and rear versions, it is built for fully loaded touring (front , rear panniers +++). So the wheels, frame etc. may be quite stout.

* By weight comparison similar here is my Size Large Frame 2013 Specialized Crosstrail which I have modified to my liking very similar to what Giant has done with the ToughRoad but, perhaps a little upscale with my aftermarket extras that saved some weight.
Mine is 25#'s on a bike shop scale with peddles, size large frame and wearing a triple crankset. Changes I made include - fork to Carbon origin 8, peddles,wheels to Boyd Altimount, saddle,peddles, tires to Specialized Renegade 1.8" (46mm),cut 1/2" off each end of the riser bars,flipped stem, larger Spesh body geometry grips, Spesh Ned's bar ends.

* PS - I love the multi use concept of this type Bicycle. Basically a rigid touring 29er MTB. I feel they are THE Most Versatile , enjoyable bikes and that Specialized,Trek and many others Really Blew it by allowing the cheap $65 , Super Heavy, Spring , Low Travel, SA Suspension Fork and skinny 38 tires on these type bikes to save a buck (these cheap forks actually cost less than a decent rigid ). The suspension fork company most have a hell of a sales rep

kudos to Giant,Kona and others for getting it right......
Specialized already makes that which you speak of. They have been since 2013. Aluminum frame and carbon fork. Sold as single speed but can be converted to geared. 22-23 lbs. It was called Carve when it first came out but has been renamed Crave now.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...e-sl-29/106470

Last edited by prj71; 04-08-16 at 09:12 AM.