View Single Post
Old 11-16-17, 08:57 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I think I just read that thread, when I found myself Jonesing for potentially compatible drop-bar alternatives), but if you don't mind a bit of a rehash, I'd be grateful to learn from your mistake. (From what I recall, the Fargo also has a drop-bar version, so I am assuming it is a similar situation.)
In 2009 the fargo was the only wide tire touring bike. It was a drop bar bike. The krampus and all the others did not exist back then. I wanted flats. Rolling around green lake it seemed fine. In the mountains I learned a few things. The front wheel starts to hop off the ground before I run out of gears, 22 36. To counter this I got a longer stem, 135mm. Which means moving the seat forward. The seat to far forward means knee pain. We ride our touring bikes all day long, right? What happens when you ride down the mountain with an extra long stem and a forward seat. Bad news. Crash. We are not rolling around green lake any more Toto. I walked for 2 days without seeing anothr person. 2.55 x 29 inch Weirwolf tires can go the places I like to go. I had to second guess the frame design. Maybe the frame builders know somethings I do not. You bought a drop bar frame, put drop bars on it. My fargo now has woodchipper drops. I was replaceing parts on my old 26 inch bike faster than my $3,000 Bike. Comfort. Bike touring is supposed to be fun, not a military expidition. I had to buy a new fork with longer tube, because drops sit higher than flats, shifters, brake levers, stem, tape. I ride it more with the drop bars on. I Learned the limits of a drop bar bike, and take my flat bar bike down the back trail from the observatory now

Take a good look at the complete seldom seen. Buy similar parts. I wanted nicer parts than the complete Fargo came with. That is why it cost twice as much. All that money, and a second guess of the design made it uncomfortable and incapable

Last edited by chrisx; 11-16-17 at 09:32 PM.