View Single Post
Old 04-27-20, 09:49 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
So first one to sort of echo the tragic one. I can't imagine that happening during the first race I promoted.

I'm glad you got to hold the race the following day. To be able to grieve together is important, as I learned. I credit learning that from Andrew Willis, the Driveway Series promoter in Texas, who had a tragedy at his race as well. I reached out to him in a vague way and he responded immediately, like within 10 minutes. He knew exactly what had happened even though I said something innocuous like, "I'd like to touch base with you regarding an incident that happened at my race."

I was probably in my 20th season promoting(?), in the race, when there was a fall in front of me. I rolled by one rider and it looked particularly bad. It was just a feeling, tbh, I'm not a trainer emergency person. Rider (Markus) ended up passing about half a day later - I left the hospital maybe 12:30 or 1 AM, he died at something like 4 or 5 AM. The incident got immortalized in VeloNews. https://www.velonews.com/news/from-t...in-the-family/

At the time my life had been pretty hectic. Not only was I promoting/racing the 6 week series of races, my son was born two Saturdays before (and I promoted/raced the next day), then the second race of the season Markus hit the deck. I didn't know him but as another rider pointed out (to others), all the riders at my race were "my riders". I never realized that until I saw that comment somewhere. I have reminders on my two primary bikes - bands on both, his name on another. I'll have the band on my new bike as well.

Note bike in background - band around front of top tube (German colors plus Markus's team colors) and Markus's name at the back part of the top tube.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson