Old 04-20-21, 09:23 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
I think we'll just differ on this one.

These sorts of roads are not that uncommon. As an example, following is a photo I took in Baja of the main road headed south. I don't ride in extreme right, but also don't see a point of riding in middle of the lane. I am however, keeping track with my mirror (and listening) of traffic coming from behind as well as keeping track ahead.
I have ridden on a lot of roads like the above and how safe I felt was strictly a function of how busy the roads were. If that was busier than it looked, I might have been nervous. The width of the ditches to the sides of the road however suggests it is a main thoroughfare, so maybe it is busier than it looks?

The road below looks to be much busier to me, less safe, and one that I would avoid if I had a choice.

Originally Posted by Doug64

I would not be surprised if Doug's photo (above) has broken the record for photo re-posts on this forum.

The photo below, I felt pretty safe there, there was very little traffic. And my tires were wide enough that the well packed gravel was a place I could go to if I saw something that look unsafe. There were lots of curves and ups and downs on the road so a lot of cars would pass me without being able to see as far ahead as they should have. And there were a few times on this trip that a car would start to pass me, I could see the on-coming car ahead where the passing car driver could not yet see the other car, so I would bailout onto the firm gravel to get out of the way.

Usually, I feel less safe on a road that I see yellow paint on, but the road below was an exception. Or maybe it is because there was so little paint left, I felt pretty good there.

I know I have posted the photo below a few times over the years as an example of a spot that I did not feel very safe, that road was narrow, even the brush on the side of the road (some with thorns) was growing into the traffic lane, curvy with lots of ups and downs, plus you were in and out of shade. Thus, the car coming up behind you might be really close when they see you, and if they suddenly came out of shade and have the sun in their eyes, they might not see you in time. And if you wanted to get out of the way, there was no place to do so.