Old 10-04-20, 10:38 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
were you using a Campagnolo cassette? Shimano cassettes are a little smoother shifting than Campagnolo or SRAM ones.
The Campy bike is full Record, including a 12-29 Record cassette. Don't get me wrong. I love that bike. The problem I have with it is there's no clear path to the lower gearing I'm looking for without upgrading to a 12 speed system. Hills are starting to get steeper as I age. That's why I picked a bike with a Shimano drive train. The out of box configuration carries a 30 tooth cassette and it's capable of supporting a 32 tooth unit without modification. If I want, I could go with a 34 tooth configuration with a nothing more than a simple rear derailleur swap.

I'll post pix as soon as I complete the installation. In the process of performing the upgrade, I uncovered a serious defect in the H36 aero cockpit (not my favorite feature of the Canyon line of road bikes) and I'm waiting on a replacement. The bike is OK to ride so long as I stay off the drops, but I do not want to press my luck. So I haven't cleaned up the install yet

I did the Di2 upgrade because I'm a spoiled boomer who had the resources on hand. I took a pass on the new SRAM stuff because as far as I'm concerned, it's still an advanced beta product.

Last edited by bmcer; 10-04-20 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added content
Likes For bmcer: