View Single Post
Old 06-12-22, 08:09 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Three things have helped my knee which my orthopedic surgeon says is to be replaced soon. I have found a lot of variability in cleat release even in the same brand and model and have bought and sold and lubricated until happy and just recently I lowered my typical 172.5 &175 crank arms to 165 mm and found the higher cadence and lowers force have helped. The third was playing with saddle height, I have reduced it by nearly 5%, how this might help is a mystery and I would not recommend. As DMC707 said people don't understand arthritis accommodations to stay in the saddle until arthritis visits them.
Thanks for your response. I swapped out my 175mm and 172.5 mm crankset for 165mm on both of my bikes. I am now working on saddle height and so far the crank length has made the most notable difference. As I stated previously the area I live in is all hills even my driveway. The 2x crank and 11 speeds are what I use the most, the other bike is 2x by 9, as the 11 allows me to keep a cadence that is comfortable. What I mean by comfortable is that I strive for a consistent load on my legs, pressure, and cadence, and the close ratio of the 11 speeds helps a ton. If I could I would go to a 12-speed or change the rear cassette to an 11-36. I know it would screw up my close ratio but the lower gear would make some of the steeper hills easier on my knees and hips.
I have been reading through the responses to my query and thinking about what I am really looking for and I realize that I am trying to make up for not getting that Corvette I wanted as a young man with a family and mortgage and a new struggling business. I guess I am looking to get that Corvette or Porsche in my last bike. I should probably act my age and get a new set of wheels and call it a day. Just go ride right. Thanks all.
Frank.