View Single Post
Old 06-12-22, 11:47 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 792 Posts
With all due respect to everyone here, but you can continue to adjust seat height, double/triple-check bike fit, adjust cleats, etc. But the fact is that the entire body needs to be worked as we age, to ensure healthy knees as well as all other parts of our musculoskeletal system. Weight training is the best way to address this approach to knee health as we continue to age -- NOT adjusting to new pains, rather find new ways to make the body grow stronger.

There is no such thing as maintaining knee health or any other type of health, simply because if you cycle consistently your body has adapted to this activity very well and has learned every trick to make it as easy as possible, that's why we are so freakin' efficient in our pedaling compared to people that only occasionally cycle. However, you are losing muscle mass every year, in other words, Mother Nature is beating you down, despite how much you cycle.

With weight training you can always be throwing curve balls at your body, forcing it to adapt and build new muscle. Fighting back against Mother Nature's attempts to break you down, which she started doing in our 30's. That's just a sad fact of life. I'm under no illusions; Mother Nature will eventually win, but the goal is to stay healthy and independent as long as possible.

The day I need to have someone help me off the toilet is the day when I'm going out to the mountains and punch Sasquatch in the face