Old 01-04-23, 08:43 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I haven't noticed any tingling from beta alanine. I do from niacin. I suspect the main reason niacin is included in some energy drinks is specifically for the tingling, slight burning sensation on the skin. It makes the energy drink feel like it's "doing something." But I suspect it's mostly placebo.

Regarding DHEA, yeah, I wouldn't take it if I was competing in any sanctioned event. I started using it after a bout with COVID in late 2021 wiped me out for months, zapping my energy. I was willing to try almost anything to get back enough energy to begin exercising again. I'm months or longer away from regaining my pre-COVID fitness, so I don't see myself entering any competitions, well... probably ever. At 65 it's not a priority for me now. Finishing a marathon before the midnight cutoff would be a realistic goal for me in 2023. I ran a solo half marathon Saturday, Dec 31, the last day of 2022. Three hours. I'm no threat even to my age group.

Beta ecdysterone reportedly has some demonstrated efficacy. It's being considered as a regulated or banned substance, but it hasn't really caught on yet among many athletes, so the regulating organizations may not yet consider it significant enough. Perhaps after the active ingredient is isolated and synthesized. For now the main source is the cyanotis arachnoidea root and similar plants. It's expensive for what you get, varies tremendously from batch to batch, tastes atrocious (very bitter, tastes vaguely like galangal root or the world's worst curry powder), so it's unlikely to catch on until it's synthesized and cheaper.
Likes For canklecat: