Old 08-28-20, 12:13 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
Thank you for the response. Sorry for throwing it in this mix. I had no idea what is was, I also thought it was a "street" bike, but it seemed odd to have an "aero" design seat tube. My frames which are similar (but not track), are 80s TT bikes having "recessed" seat tubes, but still lugged conjunctions and round tubes. Again, thanks for confirming my suspicions. I won't waste anymore time myself, just trying to educate myself and another. I will post the Mertens if it is appropriate here (I'm too beat up and old to seriously race anymore). Generally, I'm posting in the C&V forum for road bikes. Sorry if I overstepped my boundaries.
No big deal.

The aero tubing was a feature of many street bikes (even the budget ones). You can buy tubing in that shape from ALCOA and the like where bike manufacturers buy their raw materials.

The bike isn't a total loss. Clean it up, install parts from your parts bin, maybe a rattle-can paint job, and you'll have a decent beater to ride to coffee shops and not have to worry about someone stealing your $$$$ nice bikes.

I wouldn't invest any real money or elbow grease into it as it's not worth it.

Yes, post your Mertens!