View Single Post
Old 07-24-21, 10:12 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by KPREN
Old guys seem to be some of the most competitive cyclist but some of the worst losers. If I come up behind some cyclist on my fat e bike whom obviously puts in a burst of speed to stay ahead of me I will let them win and at the same time, help them get their exercise. I will back off enough to stay behind them at least 75 yards (m) and as much as 400 yards (m). When they hit a slight downhill they get ahead, when we hit an uphill I close to gap with a really fast cadence. If they get out of sight on a curve, I close the gap. Longest I have done that was about 30 miles. Some old guys on analog bikes are down right animals. The pace some of them can push for a long distance is down right impressive.
If they look like they are really getting haggard I will end their problem by passing with a cheerful note. I am out to help them get their exercise, not harm them.
LOL!

Funniest thing I’ve seen was one time when out mountain biking with our kids. We were riding casually up a long steep gravel path and a group of young guys appear out of nowhere and shoot past. So my 9 year old daughter decides to wind up her e-bike (which looks exactly like a regular hardtail) and blows past them all effortlessly. The look on their faces was priceless as they didn’t catch on and desperately tried to chase her down. But at around 8 W/kg they didn’t stand a chance. When she got to the top, she just turned around and came back down past them again.